YUFE promotes active European citizenship within a shared European environment. This is pursued in a truly bottom-up process. In the YUFE Alliance, teams of staff, students, citizens, businesses and government and policy makers collaborate on how to address European (and global) challenges. They work together to promote joint educational programs and services and develop mechanisms to facilitate the mobility of students and staff to create an inclusive higher education landscape without borders that is in line with current developments in society and the labour market.
YUFE stands for:
- A European University Alliance based on the principles of mutual knowledge, understanding and trust, and respect for the differences between the local contexts of all partners;
- An Alliance co-created and co-led by students for a Europe closer to all;
- 10 young, open and inclusive research universities and 3 non-academic partners for fair, non-elitist, equitable and innovative education in which every talent is recognised and fostered;
- 11 countries, 15 cities and urban ecosystems for accessible mobility and multilingualism and university-citizens communities solving European challenges;
- Involving all European regions for inter-cultural and inter-generational exchange and enrichment and education and social responsibility to close the social gap;
- Putting an emphasis on student-centred education driven by research- and work-based experiences for high-impact entrepreneurship and innovation;
- And with European citizens to work together in upskilling and reskilling our local workforce;
- Developing and translating knowledge via a multidisciplinary, intersectional approach to address for European challenges, thereby re-defining Europe, starting from European universities.
The coordinating institution of the YUFE Alliance is the Maastricht University (UM).
Protecting your privacy is important to both the YUFE Alliance and all the partners Therefore YUFE treats your data with care. YUFE is the controller of your personal data. This privacy statement explains how YUFE handles personal data.
This privacy statement is specifically for the YUFE Alliance.
The partners have also a general privacy statement, which can be found on:
What personal data does YUFE process
YUFE processes your personal data by using our services and / or by providing it to us.
Below is an overview of the personal data we (might) process:
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- Legal gender
- City of birth
- Home Address
- Profile photograph
- Student/Employee number
- University e-mail address
- Phone number
- Private e-mail address
- Grade list
- Motivation letter
- English proficiency
- Dietary restrictions
- Day and time of arrival and departure and accommodation
- Data related to admission and access for students to courses, trainings, lectures and other activities available on the YUFE platform
- Tracking of registration, progress and activity completions
How does YUFE receive personal data
YUFE receives personal data directly from you or from a third party that is authorised or required to share this personal data with YUFE.
Lawful basis for the processing of personal data by YUFE
Whenever YUFE processes your personal data, it does so with a lawful basis for processing. A lawful basis for processing is the grounds for processing personal data.
YUFE primarily processes your personal data to perform its public tasks in the field of the provision of academic education and research. YUFE processes your personal data for the following purposes:
- to contact you if necessary, to provide information on the course, training or event you wish to attend by one of our partners;
- to inform you about changes to the course, training or event you wish to attend and to inform you about upcoming events;
- the registration on the virtual YUFE Student Platform and the creation of an account;
- job shadowing, or other staff mobility offers;
- for survey purposes;
- YUFE also processes personal data if we are legally obliged to do so
However, YUFE may also process your personal data:
- to perform a contract with you;
- to comply with a statutory obligation;
- to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of a third party;
- to serve the legitimate interests of the YUFE Alliance, a partner or a third party;
- with your consent.
Sensitive personal data are data that are special in nature. For example, these can be data that reveal your race or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership or sexual orientation. The term sensitive personal data also includes data about your health, genetic data or biometric data through which you can be identified (e.g. a fingerprint).
YUFE only processes sensitive data when it is permitted to do so by law.
The basic principle is that YUFE uses personal data for the purpose for which the data was collected. In some cases, YUFE uses the personal data collected for other purposes too. These purposes must always be compatible with the original purpose of processing. Before further processing takes place, YUFE therefore carefully considers whether the new purpose is compatible with the original purpose of processing.
According to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), further processing of personal data for historical, statistical or scientific purposes is compatible with the original purpose of processing.
Sharing personal data with our partners
YUFE will share your personal data with our partners:
- Academic Partners:
- Maastricht University, the Netherlands
- Nicolaus Copernicus University, Poland
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain
- University of Antwerp, Belgium
- University of Bremen, Germany
- University of Cyprus, Cyprus
- University of Eastern Finland, Finland
- University of Essex, the United Kingdom
- University of Rijeka, Croatia
- Tor Vergata University of Rome, Italy
- Non-Academic Partners:
- ETS Global
- Kiron Open Higher Education gGmbH
- The Adecco Group
Sharing personal data with third parties
YUFE will not sell your information to third parties and will only provide this information to comply with a legal obligation. With companies that process your data in our assignment, we conclude a processor agreement to ensure the same level of security and confidentiality of your data. YUFE remains responsible for these processing operations.
How we secure personal data
YUFE takes the protection of your data seriously and takes appropriate measures to prevent misuse, loss, unauthorised access, unwanted disclosure and unauthorised modification.
YUFE does not keep personal data for longer than is necessary to achieve the purpose of processing. YUFE has defined a retention period for each type of processing. If this retention period can be extended, the terms under which it may be extended are also specified.
YUFE stores correspondent contact management up to five years after the last contact.
In some cases, UM is subject to a statutory duty of retention. The retention periods based on the Public Records Act are specified in the Basic Selection Document for Academic Education (Basisselectiedocument Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs).
Personal data can also be kept for a longer period for historical, statistical and scientific purposes.
Cookies, or similar techniques, that we use
YUFE uses only technical, functional cookies and analytical cookies that do not infringe your privacy. A cookie is a small text file that is stored on your computer, tablet or smartphone when you first visit this website. The cookies we use are necessary for the technical operation of the website and your ease of use. They ensure that the website works properly and remember, for example, your preferred settings. We can also optimize our website with this. You can opt out of cookies by setting your internet browser so that it does not store cookies anymore. In addition, you can also delete all information previously saved via the settings of your browser.
View, modify or delete data
You have the right to view, correct or delete your personal data. You can find more information on the website of your university.
If you have a query about this privacy statement or you want to know more about how YUFE handles personal data, or if you have a complaint, please contact: email@example.com.
Changes to this privacy statement
This privacy statement will be revised from time to time to ensure that it remains up to date. In the event of major changes, you will be notified.
As of 17-11-2020.